Thread: How do you get rid of that Client and still retain your image?

How do you get rid of that Client and still retain your image?

I am talking about the one who absolutely complains every time she comes in and leaves moaning and groaning.

She is getting on in her years and has a perm, so is in your salon for some time to bring the ‘mood and ambience’ right down and it’s always a Monday morning when she comes in.

Finally it’s time to charge her for the services and has forgotten her purse (again). You now have to hope and pray she will do the ‘right thing’ and come in on her monthly outing.

Has anyone had these problems?

What do you do? Carry one or gently ask her to find herself another salon that will service her ‘needs’ better.

The alternative is much worse, keeping her hoping she won’t be gossiping to her friends about the shoddy service.

Bad gossip travels faster than good, get rid of her, or if you can’t be straight with her then next time her appointment is due make it difficult and she might take the hint.

She is costing you more money in complaining than you will ever realize.

How did you deal with a difficult complaining client?
    Owner of ExpertSalonMarketing.com

Firstly I would ask them how they would fix the problem. What you have to do to make them a happy customer.
    This is most important. Maybe you might find out something to your benefit regarding you Salon.

Until you have done this, wouldn't even consider getting rid of them as a client.

Manager of North American Operations for ESM Kevin Perry's Avatar
    It's always a delicate situation to deal with troubling clients, but you must make sure that you handle it appropriately. It's important to have an open dialogue with these people and get to know their wants and needs. Letting them do the talking is the most important thing. Lend your ears to them and make sure to make them feel important.

If the client is a senior citizen, perhaps her outing to the salon is her only real chance to let things out. An audience to hear what she has to say is all they really want. If you find their presence a distraction to other clients, try scheduling them first thing in the morning to avoid the rush.

It's how you handle these in-ordinary clients that will show the true strength of your team. Show them some respect, listen to what they have to say with sincerity, and I guarantee you will earn their respect.

One great book that I recommend for situations like this is How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. Truly an amazing book that's stood the test of time.

Kevin